Monday, January 13, 2014

January 13, 2014

I got on early today so we could give a blessing a little later so I missed ya :/ but that is ok. The weeks pass so fast that it is always time to write again before I even remember what I forget to tell you.

This week was a little harder than the last one. We struggled to keep appointments and we dida service project that sunburned my legs worse that I have ever been sunburned in my entirelife. I now understand how in pain those youth conference kids are when they don´t wear sunscreen the first day of a cisco...not fun! And to top it off, having to wear pants all day everyday doesn´t help. But yeah, the work still goes on. We have a few really great progressing investigators that are doing well right now, and Jonathan (my baptism in november) gave a talk in church today baout faith and it was AWESOME!
That helped me a ton to know that I really am helping people here, even when sometimes it doesn´t feel that way. 
This week we did a service project, and despite the sunburn it was well worth it. When my comp and I showed up at the house I looked at him and said, "we will work until 9:30 if we have to in order to help this family. They were a family of 5 that moved to our area but they literally were moving into a 10 foot by 10 foot plywood box with a tarp roof. No electricity or plumbing. No running water, and they have to go ask their neighbor for water. IT was the most humbling theing I had ever seen. I looked at Elder Berrett and I said, "I will never complain about anything ever again!" A truck came and dropped off what little stuff they had we did our best to build makeshift beds, ask neighbors for pallets to put mattresses on, andeven borrow a shovel to seal the outside of the house with dirt so that the water wouldn´t come rushing in. It was pretty sad. I was holding up pretty well until the mom (single with 4 kids) sat down on a pallet and put her hands on her forehead in distress. I thought to myself, "why does this happen to such good people? Why does good put already humble people in even more humbling circumstances?" It was something that I thought about for the rest of the day and as well a lot of the morning on sunday. I got my answer when I saw them and their entire family walking into church despite having nothing and living more than 5 miles from the church. "They have Faith" i thought to myself. "And their Faith is stronger than everyone elses so God knew that they would be able to overcome that Trial" It was both an image and an experience that I will never forget, and a learning opportunity of a lifetime. IT is so incredibly true how powerful Faith is in our lives and that when we have Faith, anything is possible that is aligned with the will of God.
I think of how frustrated I get when our appointments fall through or when we lose one of our investigators, and then I think about how frustrating it would be when the roof falls through, or when you lose one of your children....This work is hard. It was never meant to be easy, but it was meant to help those whose lives are harder than ours, and prepare us for the hard times that we are gonna have in our lives. 
I know this Gospel blesses the lives of those who Believe in Jesus Christ and his Atonement, and that all those who come unto him are entitled to his blessings. 
I love you Momma, Hope you are having a great day and that you arealways reaching out for those in Need. I have no doubt that you are :)
Your Son,

~Elder Hazlett

No comments:

Post a Comment